Fire Risk Level

Fire Rish Low

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Written by Administrator
Monday, 15 December 2008 19:29
PDF Print E-mail

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

 

Carbon Monoxide detectors are just as important as smoke detectors in the home. Read the following information below to find out more about carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide detectors.

* Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas that can be emitted by home appliances, heaters, and other devices.

* Some common home devices that can emit carbon monoxide are: fuel fired furnaces, gas water heaters, fireplaces and wood stoves, gas dryers, charcoal grills, lawnmowers, automobiles, etc.

* Carbon monoxide can cause serious illness and death.

* The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that approximately 200 people per year are killed by accidental Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Approximately 5,000 people are injured each year. These are typically caused by faulty equipment.

* Carbon monoxide inhibits the blood's ability to carry oxygen to body tissues including vital organs such as the heart and brain.

* Symptoms can include in varying degrees depending on the concentration of the CO gas: headaches, nausea, unconsciousness, fatigue, dizziness, convulsions, death.

* With a properly installed carbon monoxide detector, you would have enough warning before symptoms would occur.

* Proper placement of a carbon monoxide detector is very important. They need to be located near sleeping areas and in every level of the home. It is also important not to install the detectors directly above or near fuel-burning appliances. The manufactures of carbon monoxide detectors suggest placing carbon monoxide detectors on the ceiling.

* If your detector alarms, turn off all appliances or other sources of combustion at once. Open all doors and windows to get fresh air in at once. Call a qualified technician and have the problem fixed before restarting appliances. If anyone is having any of the listed symptoms above, call 911 to alert the fire department and ambulance services.

* To find out more about carbon monoxide detectors, Click Here.

 

 Information taken from NFPA resources and web site

 

 

Last Updated ( Friday, 19 December 2008 21:34 )